9am – 10am Check-in, coffee and snacks
Coffee break sponsored by Honens.
10am – 2pm Small Budget Orchestra Sessions
- 10am: Welcome and round table introductions
- 10:30am: Show Me The Money! Busting Myths and Customizing Your Fund- Raising Strategy. Jerry Smith, General Manager, First Stage Arts Consultants.
- 11am: Avoiding Disaster: Seven things to watch out for. Steve Smith, Statistician, Orchestras Canada
- 12pm: Lunch and networking, Rehearsal Hall B
- 12:45pm: What makes a great funding proposal? Q and A with a special guest who has seen a lot of them!
- 1:15pm: HR on a dime: finding the people to do the work. Jeanne LeSage, LeSage Arts.
- 1:45pm: Wrap up and thanks
2pm – 4pm: Breakout Sessions by Topic. Designing 21st Century…
- Orchestras and Social Inclusion: Reports from the Field. Panel discussion with Elizabeth Simpson (National Arts Centre Orchestra), Dr. Erin Parkes (Lotus Centre for Special Music Education), Faith Scholfield (Windsor Symphony Orchestra), Ian Ritchie, (Setúbal Music Festival). Sponsored by Angela Birdsell, Cultural Policy and Management Consulting.
- Orchestral training and career paths. Long-term solutions and short term “hacks” for diversifying orchestras, chaired by Nelson McDougall.
- Fundraising Workshop. With Jayne Watson, CEO of the National Arts Centre Foundation.
- What is Resilience Anyway? Rehearsal Hall A. Workshop led by Patrick Towell (Golant Media Ventures, and The Audience Agency).
4pm – 4:30pm: Coffee Break
Sponsored by Dean Artists Management.
4:30pm – 5:30pm: Arts Data You Can Use
Aimé Dontigny and Alexis Andrew (Canada Council for the Arts) present a report on the Canada Council’s recent research relevant to orchestras. Highlights will include a presentation of the Council’s recent analysis of Canadian orchestra trends; an introduction to the Council’s work on the qualitative impact of the arts; and an overview of the Council’s pilot survey of the demographic composition of Canadian artistic institutions’ employees and boards.
Simultaneous interpretation for this session is funded in part by the Government of Canada.
- 6:30pm: Indigenous Walking Tour: Monuments of Parliament Hill (Leaving from the National Arts Centre).
- 6:30pm: OrKidstra End of Season Concert (Dominion-Chalmers Church, 355 Cooper Street).
- 6:45pm: Prix fixe 3-course Dinner at Le Café (National Arts Centre).
9pm A conversation over drinks, hosted by OC’s Advocacy Committee
What would you like to see on Orchestras Canada’s federal advocacy calendar this year – pre-election, and following? Find out what your peers are thinking, share your own perspectives, and learn how you can get involved. This meeting will be hosted by OC advocacy chair Andrew Bennett. Metropolitain Brasserie, 700 Sussex St.